If the Spring 2012 runways are any indication, it’s definitely time for us ladies to get in shape! The sporty-chic theme dominated the New York collections, with unique fabrics like mesh and neoprene, tracksuits, utility vests and shorts, and track-ready gear. I love the look and I’m super excited as to how designers have incorporated it into street style.
Dressing sporty does not mean dressing in a boring way! There are certain ways to make your sporty outfits look super chic and sleek. Most of the time, when picturing sporty attire, we imagine baggy t-shirts and unflattering sweatpants. This time around, think about a killer pair of ponte leggings paired with a cropped, loose, striped tee or a sheath dress with a bright reflector stripe accentuating your figure. Now it doesn’t sound as bad anymore, right?!
Before I dive into three ways to sport the trend, here is a list of ten sporty-chic essentials that can instantly have you donning the trend just like style icon Victoria Beckham:
- Racerback Top – you know, to show off your sweet lifting skills.
- Boxy/Cropped Top – inspired by those you would see on Saved by the Bell, except not dull!
- Striped Skinny Jeans – kick start your way to the trend by revealing your shapely legs!
- Sheath or Loose Dress – blast from the tracksuit past, make sure your dress either includes neon or stripes!
- Mini Skirt – all that work with yoga and pilates will pay off in a sleek, racetrack inspired skirt.
- Zip-Up Jacket – inspired by the tracksuit jacket, but much sleeker and more refined.
- Airy Tee – fabrics that are sleek enough to be chic, yet comfortable enough to lounge around in.
- Neon Bags & Belts – a few accessories can go a long way, especially if you aren’t in the mood to sport it in your clothing.
- Sky-High Sneakers & Heels – turn those jogging shoes into bright, bad-ass kicks!
- Sleek Sweats – to show that working out doesn’t mean you wear frumpy, old-school sweats or shorts!
Take a look at three ways I’ve styled the sporty-chic trend below and let me know which you like best!