Well, it’s safe to say that the recent blistering cold temps, icy roads and light snowfalls mean one thing: it’s definitely time to bring out cold-weather gear, drink hot cocoa and snuggle up in blankets! By now, I’m sure we’ve all decorated our homes for the holidays (well, I have!) and let the season’s cool offerings keep us cozy and comfy all winter long. This time around, my list of winter wardrobe essentials is a stylish variety: metallic shoes, grown-up gloves, thick skirts and over-sized cardigans. Take a look below and let me know, what’s on your list?
1. The Holiday Sweater — A winter wardrobe is simply not complete without a fun holiday sweater! Whether you opt for cheesy or classic, a printed sweater can quickly quirk up an otherwise basic outfit. Just try to avoid wearing them with matching bottoms, unless you’re going to a silly Holiday party!
2. The Military Bootie — Military isn’t going anywhere anytime soon; and it’s no surprise as the update of the military bootie is nothing short of sleek and sophisticated. Look for ones with hardware, higher heels and leathery straps. Pair the shoe with flowing dresses and ladylike separates or cropped trousers for a boy-meets-girl look.
3. The Grown-Up Gloves — There’s a reason many of us keep losing those $8 gloves we pick up at Target. This year, make a vow to invest in a beautiful pair of gloves that will make you feel like a lady. Trust me, you’ll be sure to not misplace them!
4. The Thick Skirt — I love wearing skirts and dresses all-year-’round, but I definitely want to stay warm in the cooler months. Look for skirts in wool and cashmere to keep you nice and toasty while still showing off those legs! Sexy enough to wear with a sheer blouse at night and modest enough to wear with a turtleneck for work, it’s a winter must-have.
5. The Oversized Cardigan — I never use to be a fan of over-sized cardigans, simply because the options I’d find weren’t exactly flattering, but instead frumpy. This time around, I’m scoping out many stylish options from ones with cut-out shoulders, leather panels and fun prints! So cozy and versatile, it’s difficult to not wear one every single day! Pair it atop dresses and with mini skirts or with your favorite pair of jeans and leggings and you’re good to go!
6. The Fun Sock — I’ve always loved printed socks – it just makes keeping warm that much more fun! Worn peeking out from above an ankle boot or bare in the spotlight with flats or party pumps, a festive sock will instantly take any look from great to fantastic.
7. The Metallic Shoe — When we’re super bundled up, any little bit of flashy elements help our look stand out! A metallic shoe in a lustrous silver or gold or even pearly pinks and blues can wake up a quiet look. Plus, they go with pretty much anything!
8. The Sweater Dress — Sweater dresses are one of my favorite items to wear throughout the winter season. Whether it’s form-fitting or flowy, a sweater dress is a sleek, one-piece wonder that can be styled in a variety of ways from casual to super dressy.
9. The Crystal Showstopper — Frost yourselves this season! Rhinestones, crystals, glass and rich-toned jewels instantly give any outfit a touch of glamour, even your trusty cable-knit sweater!
10. The Sweater Tights / Leggings — An absolute essential. Every. Single. Year. Invest in a few thick, good pairs and look for ones in different patterns and colors! The possibilities are endless.